TransPennine Express brings in amended timetable and advises customers to check their journey
Rail operator TransPennine Express (TPE) is advising customers across the North and into Scotland to check their journeys and allow extra time to travel as it brings in an amended timetable.
The revised timetable, which will be implemented from Monday 10th January 2022, will mean changes to services across all TPE routes and will see services reduced to provide a greater level of certainty for customers.
The amended plan is being brought in due to disruption being caused by increased levels of sickness and the ongoing impact of COVID and the Omicron variant, as well as some industrial relations issues.
TransPennine Express will be operating the following services as part of their amended timetable:
- Edinburgh Waverley – Manchester Airport, a service every two hours in each direction
- Glasgow Central – Manchester Airport, three services per day in each direction
- Liverpool Lime Street/Oxenholme – Glasgow Central, two services per day in each direction
- Edinburgh Waverley – Newcastle, five services per day in each direction
North TransPennine route:
- Newcastle – Liverpool Lime Street, a service every hour in each direction
- Redcar Central – Manchester Airport, a service every hour in each direction
- Hull – Manchester Piccadilly, a service every hour in each direction
- Scarborough – Manchester Victoria/Liverpool Lime Street hourly services will be replaced with a Scarborough – York hourly service, with additional peak time extensions to/from Leeds
- Leeds – Huddersfield and Huddersfield - Manchester stopper services will continue to operate hourly
South TransPennine route:
- Cleethorpes/Sheffield – Manchester Piccadilly/Airport will operate hourly in the AM and PM peaks and every two hours in the off-peak period
- To enable rolling stock maintenance and stabling, the last service of the day between Sheffield – Cleethorpes will operate as a rail replacement bus service
More information on the changes can be found here: https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/travel-updates/amended-timetable
Customers are advised to continue to allow extra time and check before they travel via the TPE website. Services on weekends may be different due to engineering works taking place.
Matthew Golton, Managing Director for TransPennine Express said: “While we are disappointed to be making these changes and reducing services, our priority is keeping people moving and providing a greater level of certainty for our customers.
“We are sorry for any disruption this may cause to journeys and call on our customers to allow additional time for travel and to check carefully –for any changes to train times.
“We will continue to regularly review these changes in line with the current situation.”
An enhanced cleaning programme remains in place across all TPE services and customers are reminded of the need to wear a face covering, unless exempt, when using the train or at the station.
Notes to editors
TransPennine Express is an intercity rail provider with a vision to Take the North Further. We are delivering an investment of over £500m that will transform travel and customer experience across the North and into Scotland.
We are proud to be a FirstGroup plc company which provides easy and convenient mobility, improving quality of life by connecting people and communities.
Our network is:
- North TransPennine - including Newcastle to Manchester Airport, Redcar/Middlesbrough to Manchester Airport, Scarborough to Liverpool, Edinburgh to Liverpool, Newcastle to Edinburgh and Hull to Manchester Piccadilly
- South TransPennine from Cleethorpes via Doncaster and Sheffield to Manchester
- North West and Scotland – from Liverpool and Manchester Airport to Preston, Oxenholme, Carlisle, Penrith, Edinburgh and Glasgow,
- Destinations served by TransPennine Express include Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Darlington, Northallerton, Thirsk, York, Malton, Scarborough, Hull, Selby, Leeds, Huddersfield, Cleethorpes, Grimsby, Scunthorpe, Meadowhall, Doncaster, Sheffield, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Carlisle, Lancaster, Preston, Redcar, Morpeth, Manchester, Manchester Airport, Liverpool, Dunbar, Reston (once opened), Berwick-upon-Tweed, Alnmouth, Morpeth and Cramlington
Follow TPE @