Transpennine Route Upgrade launches campaign to raise awareness of major railway improvements
- The first major multichannel campaign to promote Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU) benefits launched today
- The ‘On Track to Better’ campaign aims to communicate the benefits of TRU and the multi-billion-pound programme of improvements which will transform the railway between York, Leeds, Huddersfield and Manchester
- At the heart of the campaign is a stop motion animation advert that highlights the scheme benefits, voiced by actor John Thompson and directed by Tom O’Meara, an award-winning animation director
Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU) has today launched a new campaign, ‘On Track to Better’, which aims to communicate the benefits of TRU and the multi-billion-pound programme of improvements which will transform the railway between York, Leeds, Huddersfield and Manchester.
The marketing campaign, that consists of digital, TV, radio, digital billboards, web, social and in-station, marks the first major multichannel campaign to promote TRU and the benefits of the landmark work to consumers.
At the heart of the campaign is a stop motion animation advert, featuring both TransPennine Express (TPE) and Northern trains, that communicates just some of the many scheme benefits to customers.
The marketing campaign highlights the major, multi-billion-pound programme of improvements which will transform the railway between York, Leeds, Huddersfield and Manchester, bringing passengers more frequent, faster, greener trains, running on a better, cleaner and more reliable railway.
The improvements will support economic growth in the North and deliver real benefits for passengers, communities and freight services along this vital rail artery.
Daniel Bolton, Transpennine Route Upgrade Senior Marketing Manager, at TPE said: “The new TRU ‘On Track to Better’ campaign is the result of a fantastic collaborative effort across the industry and is designed to raise awareness of the major railway improvements that will take place in a way in which customers can relate to.
“Faster commutes will see longer bedtime stories for parents, a more frequent service will make city visits a more frequent day out and a fully electrified line will mean cleaner air for the people of the North, and these are just some of the large-scale improvements customers will benefit from.”
Neil Holm, Transpennine Route Upgrade Director, said: “The ‘On Track to Better’ campaign will help to raise the profile of our multi-billion-pound improvement programme, and I hope it will get people excited for the transformational benefits in store for passengers in the north.
“We’ve made a huge amount of progress already, with major work already underway to electrify both ends of the route. We’ll eventually deliver a fully electrified line to bring faster, more frequent trains running on a cleaner, greener railway between Manchester and York.”
Rob Warnes, Strategic Development Director for Northern, said: "The new campaign highlights the huge range of railway improvements that will be delivered for our customers as part of the Transpennine Route Upgrade. Faster, better and greener journeys are the key to unlocking opportunities for our communities right across the Pennines, and we’re excited to tell our customers about the work that has now begun to transform their railway”.
The marketing campaign was a collaborative piece of work, produced by creative agency ‘The&Partnership’ and production house ‘Passion’. The advert was directed by Tom O’Meara, an award-winning animation director who is known for his stunning collection of work, including ‘The Wind in the Willows’ and ‘Isle of Dogs’.
The new advert can be viewed here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu2Oz3cdkGk
Notes to editors
For more information visit: www.thetrupgrade.co.uk
The Transpennine route Upgrade (TRU) is transforming journeys across the North, better connecting towns and cities through more frequent, faster trains, running on a cleaner, greener and more reliable railway.
The total forecast cost range for the Transpennine Route Upgrade Programme is currently £9bn-£11.5bn and the expected completion dates of 2036 to 2041 for full realisation of benefits. However, the majority of benefits will be realised by the early 2030s.
TRU will bring passengers:
- More trains to choose from and more seats. Our improvements will enable more trains to run between Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds and York with up to six fast services every hour between Leeds and Manchester and up to two stopping services for local connectivity.
- Faster journeys so you can travel to your favourite towns and cities more quickly. Our fastest journey times are forecast to be 63-66 minutes between Manchester and York and 41-42 minutes between Manchester and Leeds.
- More reliable journeys with trains that run on-time
- Better stations across the Transpennine route, bringing passengers a better travel experience through improved, more accessible stations
- Greener travel, reducing our carbon footprint and improving air quality. Our plans aim to save up to 87,000 tonnes of carbon emissions each year – supporting the government’s Net Zero objectives. We’re also developing a proposal to move more goods by rail (up to 15 more freight trains each day.)
- Together, these freight trains are expected to remove over 1,000 lorries off the road each day